Jumaat, Mei 15, 2009

guide lines for sighted people how to interact with a blind person




Interacting With A Blind Person
When I meet a person who is blind I will...

I will remember that my attitude toward blindness is vitally important
for establishing healthy relationships.

I will use the words, "look," "see," "blind," etc. Avoidance of these
words will only make a blind person self-conscious.

I will identify myself when meeting a blind person so that I do not
give her the insecurity of wondering who I am.

I will look directly at her when speaking.

I will tell a blind person who else might be within speaking range,
and I will announce when I'm leaving the presence of a blind person so
she will not be embarrassed by speaking to no one.

I will offer a blind person my elbow for assistance in walking,
staying about one step ahead so he can anticipate my movements.

I will open a door and the blind person I'm guiding will hold it open
as we pass through.

I will caution a blind person about obstacles in his path, ascending
or descending stairs and curbs.

I will offer assistance to a blind person in crossing streets even
though she may have a cane or GUIDE dog.

I will place the hand of a blind person on a door handle or the back
or arm of a chair for his orientation.

I will allow a blind person the dignity of speaking for herself and
discourage other people from talking through me, unless the blind
person has a severe hearing loss.

I will keep a blind person informed and aware of present circumstances.

I will assist a blind person at the dining table. A clock face
description of the location of food on a plate is often appreciated.

I will allow a blind person the courtesy of handling cash. A blind
person can tell the difference in coins by touch, and identify paper
money by various methods of folding.

Written and Compiled by Carol M. McCarl

0 ulasan:





Arkit blog